Sunday, October 31, 2010

Ce Qu'a Passé Recennement

I would make such an amazing 1950s housewife. I knit, I sew, I bake; I can organise charity fundraisers like you wouldn't believe; I can write with exceeding prettiness; and I am totally HBIC.

For example, recently, I've been knitting a vest, the pattern for which I got off of the Vogue Knitting website (VogueKnits - my new favourite magazine). It's going to be pastel pink and Bitchen as.

The colour choice has apparently surprised some people (by whom I refer to my benchmates in rollcall, George and Taylor). This is because I looked through my closet recently and realised that I have very few colours when it comes to my clothing. The majority of my T-shirts are black, my jeans are dark, I have a grand total of 4 brightly coloured shirts, 3 of which are long sleeved, and of them, two of which are so low cut that I can only wear them in the depths of winter lest I sustain cleavage burn - an incredibly irritating area to get sunburnt.

This monochromaticism, combined with the fact that the suburban Soccer-Mum look is one that I seem to be able to pull off (Pam from TrueBlood is totally my style icon - although only with regard to what she wears that isn't made of black leather), has inspired me to get knitting. I haven't knitted and actual garment since I made a cardigan a couple of years ago ofer the course of two hospital admissions (a cardigan which, for the record, I have never worn, but which makes my sisters the envy of all their friends when they wear it. I don't see why, in my opinion it makes them look like a horizontally striped gumdrop from the eighties... but I digress) and so I decided to get back on the figurative horse, and return to knitting, this time using patterns that I like.

Also, with Sarah's (the one who continually gets referenced in The Week) 18th coming up, I knitted her a Dalek stuffed toy. It's about two feet tall, and replete with plunger, whisk and eye stalk. Not to mention, a hell of a lot better looking than the ones on the link. There are bound to be photos from Sarah's party, I'll upload one if I remember. I'll be making another one for Sophia (also of The Week) when her 18th rolls along.

Finally, with regard to knitting, I'm finishing off a fuzzy beanie for Koby, who soon after Formal will be heading off to America for a while, and being somewhere up north (Iowa I think??) will be neading much external warming paraphenalia. I had started some crazy bobbly socks, also c/o VogueKnits, but they've gone to the back burner, along with my white gloves, which I had initially made somewhat shoddily, so I undid them and started afresh. The second run of them is an improvement, but I probably won't be motivated to finish them before winter rolls around again. Perhaps I'll get them done in time for formal... No matter.

Just today, I got around to looking at the blog of my marvellously talented friend Anne. You can find it here. I heard that she had a blog after seeing the amazing nails she had created for Sam, and let me just say that she blows my skillz right out of the water. I mean I'm impressed with myself if I manage to paint my nails whilst not getting nailpolish on my skin. Dayumm.

3 comments:

  1. I'm looking forward to seeing photos of your Dalek. The other photo looks so damn adorable (I'm not a Dr Who fan, sorry) :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete