Thursday, August 5, 2010

Today

Was filled with the drudgery of manual labour.

I began by helping out with sign in at the conference, between the hours of 8 and 11, at which point there was community service day. Whilst doing sign in, I had some lovely conversation with the kids from University of Nebraska, Lincoln.

At community service day, where we were divided randomly into groups and then sent to go de-weed the terraces along the guadeloupe river (A few miles thereof. Good thing there was a lot of us). I bonded with a bunch of students from Great Valley State University - one of the largest universities in eastern Michigan (that's said in a tongue in cheek manner, just to clarify). At the end of the two hours of pulling up really fierce weeds and hacking at stumps with hoes (don't even bother, we made just about every joke imaginable), after taking the group photos of the GVSU kids, I was asked if I was old enough to go get a beer with them (They knew I was in high school, but not that I was seventeen). I had to reply in the negative, because they're bitches about carding here in Cali.

Incidentally, before we started the community service, they showed us a slideshow outlining wha tthe different tools were. Because apparently some people don't know what rakes, shovels and hoes are. Hoes perhaps is understandable, but who not only cannot recognise a shovel but also does not know its function? Seriously.

There was an accounting careers fair at 4.30 in the afternoon. The dress was 'office casual', so I wore nice jeans, a white blouse... and my sparkly red heels. Because I'd brought them on the offchance they'd come in handy, and so they did.

So today has been a great success. I was invited out for beer by a bunch of college students, and as I walking back to the elevator after the accounting fair, a male student with a deeply southern accent enquired 'How're you doin'?'

This is not an isolated event. I've been spending a hell of a lot of time responding to when good looking southern boys (I swear, all the southern boys seem to be good looking) enquire as to my welfare. Heavens, their accents are adorable.

No comments:

Post a Comment