Thursday, May 6, 2010

Shopping and Belonging

This afternoon, I got some jeans.

They are incredibly run of the mill, but anything would be an improvement upon my current pair which are so faded they're almost white, and so shredded at the cuffs that I either have to fold them up or wear them with boots. And the only boots I own are gumboots.

Whilst I was at Target getting the aforemantioned jeans (I know. I'm classy.), I saw one of those floofy peasant shirt thingies. I thought to myself 'Hmmm. I wonder what I'd look like in one of those.'

Here's the answer: a mushroom. As it turns out, quasi-Sinti Eastern European gypsy is not a look I can rock. I can however totally rock the look of Eastern European downtrodden farmer or tailor. I guess it's genetic.

And although I've been bagging out my old jeans, I'm still going to wear them to every winter mufti day...along with my Target gumboots.

And the belonging.

I have a bit of a quandary when it comes to finding self selected texts for belonging.

Initially, I was going to use The Shipping News (Annie Proulx), but that turns out to be an Ext Eng proscribed text, which means I can't use it.

I could use the movie, but it's just so bloody depressing.

Even so, I have too many self seleceted texts to choose from. There's The Shipping News (movie), Kolya (Czech movie about the Velvet Revolt), Forrest Gump (Winston Groom), or The Savage Altar (Asa Larson).

I should have two. I hate having to choose. They're all really good.

Oh well.

No comments:

Post a Comment