Saturday, May 29, 2010

TopGear.

On Tuesday night, Boris was on TopGear. I was rather impressed.

Boris is quote easily my favourite British politician. He had an argument with Clarkson about the merits of bike riding (Boris cycles, Clarkson thinks that bike riding is for sissies), during which he lost he lorry vote by saying that truck drivers never look in their mirrors.

Later, whilst doing his lap in a reasonably priced car, it became evident that when driving, he makes zooming noises.

On a slightly unrelated note, I was disappointed to discover that the obscenities of the hosts are now censored. Clarkson no longer says ‘shit’. He says *bleep*. May no longer says ‘cock’. I am horrified by this turn of events.

But fun facts I learned from watching TopGear: if you’re in a Ford Fiesta being chased around the inside of a shopping centre by bad guys in a Corvette, you will get away.
Also, if you’re asked to take part in a beach assault with the Royal Marines whilst the end of the 1812 overture plays in the background, you will be marvellously successful.

I rather like TopGear. Especially the challenges. Vietnam in particular.

There’s some marvellous British humour. For example: To make things more interesting, the presenters were banned from getting professional repairs on their motorbikes, and they were shown the support bike: a motorbike completely covered with American flag decals, with a stereo permanently blasting Bruce Springstein’s ‘Born in the USA’.
Clarkson, after beholding the monstrosity, turned to the camera and said, completely deadpan “Kids, if you’re watching at home and don’t understand just how inappropriate this is, ask your parents.”

Nothing like bringing up memories of capitalist imperialism.

On a slightly unrelated note, I’m aware that my recent posts have been a touch off my regular standard. This is because I blog about whatever happens to have interested me during the day. Of course when I’m stuck in a hospital, very little interests me.

But bear with me.

1 comment:

  1. "Are you saying that people with only one arm, shouldn't be allowed to ride a bicycle."

    ReplyDelete