Thursday, April 1, 2010

Canada

In a remarkable example of foresight, I've decided to get the planning of my seventeenth done now, because if I don't have the plans finalised before school gets back, it's never going to happen.

Which would suck, because I want to have a nice clean, safe birthday party before the joint 18th Lauren my next-door neighbour is threatening.

And so I am faced with the question of what format should the party take?

The two frontrunning ideas are: ice skating or road trip on the train.

And to clarify, when I say frontrunning, I mean only.

First: Ice skating.

*Ice skating here costs about three times what it cost in Canada. In Canada, you go to the ice rink in the same way we go to the local pool. And it costs about the same as pool entry here.

$18 to enter the rink and an extra $3 for skate hire? THIS ISN'T SPARTA!!!

And so I come to option 2: road trip.

Road tripping on the train is remarkably fun. My destination of choice would be Kiama, because the blowhole is particularly cool in the middle of winter.

The issue is that knowing my good friends at cityrail, there's bound to be last minute trackwork announced for the south coast line to be undertaken in the July school holidays, which is when this roadtrip will take place.

And whilst long train rides are fun, long crappy trackwork coach trips are not.

Which brings me to the title of this post: Canada.

In Canada, my birthday is in the height of summer. It's awesome. Summer + no water restrictions = no holds barred waterbomb fight to the nth degree.

Here, on the other hand, I have to deal with crappy winter weather, wimpy Australians who think that 15 degrees is cold (for the record, nothing above minus 30 is cold. Because you can dress for that kind of weather. It's only when the temperature goes sub-30-sub-zero that it's ACTUALLY cold.

Which makes me think that my preference of blowhole will not be widely accepted. Because it means sea spray and in all likelihood high winds.

All I can do is quote Chopper Reid in saying 'Harden the *expletive* up, Australia'.

Invitations are open* - I'll make an event on facebook once I know which form it will take.

Comment either here or on facebook with your ideas and comments.

But do it soon, or it'll never get off the ground.

*N.B.: when I say open, I mean open to people I know who attend high school

1 comment:

  1. I like the blowhole... and also the Kiama markets (I think) which are open on Sundays

    ReplyDelete