Saturday, April 10, 2010

Ce Que J'aime Écoute

I've been on the internet for a while, waiting for pages to load, and so I think I'll spam a bit by writing down each song I listen to, along with any thoughts I have regarding it.

NB: I'm on the only computer at home which has internet, which has a pretty limited music library. I'm skipping any songs I didn't listen to.

Du Hast - Rammstein

I've loves this song ever since my history teacher played it for us. Till Lindeman (the singer) has a pretty fantastic set of vocal chords, and I love the mix between synth and the heavy guitars and drums.

Rammleid - Rammstein

Because everyone needs a bit of thrash every so often. I'm particularly a fan of the choir in the background of the verses.

Hallelujah - Handel

My sisters and I refer to Handel as 'Handi' because we've all done a hell of a lot of his stuff (we also refer to Purcell as 'Percy', but lets not go there). The Hallelujah chorus from Messiah just has that special something which makes a great choral work.
There's the perfectly balanced SATB score, with the parts playing off each other to create some fantastic layering; there's the rather small selection of orchestration (Harpsichord, Violin, Viola, Cello, Bassoon, Trumpet) which somehow just works perfectly); and there's the way that the accompaniment works with the music, filling gaps, and making it one of the most recognisable choral works ever.

Hot Stuff - Donna Summer

I got this song off the soundtrack of 'The Full Monty'. Good movie. Good song.
There's something fantastic about all the songs which are stereotypically drag queen songs (I Will Survive, I Need A Hero etc.).

O Fortuna - Orff

No comment necessary. Awesome incarnate.

Mrs Robinson - Simon and Garfunkel

I got this off the soundtrack of Forrest Gump before my sister Sarah had the brilliance to buy the 'Best of Simon and Garfunkel'. Whimsical guitars, and some of the best harmony you'll find anywhere, paired with surprisingly quirky and deep lyrics. I love it.

Empty Chairs At Empty Tables - Boublil and Schönberg

One of the most depressing songs of Les Mis. It really encapsulates all of France;s student revolts (May 68, anyone?). They thought it was a good idea at the time, and then looked back at their actions in retrospect and went 'Hmmm. Well. That was a bad course of action.'
To quote Raymond Aron: Once again Paris almost had a revolution, and then finished it as usual by voting conservative.
It was true then, and it's true now.

Valley Girl - Frank Zappa and the Mothers of Invention feat. Moonunit Zappa

This song is Frank Zappa and the Mothers of Invention at their art rocking best with Moonunit Zappa's inspired parody of a Sun Vally bimbo in the 80s.
This song encapsulates the entirety of Amy Heckerling's 'Clueless'.
This song encapsulates commercial America.
I grew up listening to this song.

Morgenstern - Rammstein

A choir singing Mass-like cadences in the background. A strong Bass voice in the forefront, underscored by some good industrial metal. Rammstein's great.

Rejoice rejoice. The sheet music of Les Choristes has finished downloading.
Now, should I be granted a school choir, I shall have music for them. Along with Michael Bojesen's 'Eternity', I'll be set (I would have also liked to use his 'Gloria', but that would be far too difficult for one of the school choirs).

Huzzah for downloading PDFs.

1 comment:

  1. WHERE HAVE YOU GONE, JOE DIMAGGIO? A NATION TURNS ITS LONELY EYES TO YOU. WHAT'S THAT YOU SAY MRS ROBINSON? JOLTING JOE HAS LEFT AND GONE AWAY?


    possibly my favourite lyrics in the world ever ever ever

    ReplyDelete